Sunday, August 23, 2009

An introduction

I read the paper when it occurs to me. I think these occurrences are frequent enough to maintain a healthy level of dialogue with people who are smarter than me--I think. I spend oodles of money on movie tickets every month. I eat out and cook in with equal enthusiasm. I freaking love gin. My job no longer requires me to spend hours on my wardrobe (like I ever did) but I nonetheless feel boring and sad if I am not wearing copious amounts bold color in the form of floral prints circa my mom's 1940's table cloth collection. My dog is a republican-- that stubborn cranky uncle sort that you have to adore and rough up their hair a little bit because they just seem so sure of themselves.

When I traveled in South America last year, my belongings were at one point reduced to clothes and soap. The money, souvenirs and personal identification that were lost became trivial when I realized my travel journal of nearly four years and camera documenting 2 months of travel were gone. Besides the fact that I am now a picture uploading fiend, the experience also led me to appreciate the virtual written word. The only record I have of my trip now are the mass emails I sent home over the 3 month course of my trip--and I suppose the collective memories of dear friends, but this isn't my point.

Dedicated journal keepers feel free to scroll facebook at this point...

Have you ever (as a non diary person) fantasized about actually having been the little kid that wrote in their journal every night? All the moments, feelings, opinions about life that could have been preserved if you had been a more contemplative and booky youngin'? Dammit. That would be so cool! I have a total of 4 girly frilly diaries-empty save 2 or 3 entries-that are neatly tucked into my childhood bookcase. My friend Rachel keeps all her date books as a sort of record of what's what in her life. She even goes back and writes in "Lunch with so and so" or even more personal elements of a particular day or week. I've watched her do it many times and will admit to thinking, "Gosh, I could give a rat's about who came over to dinner last week, they'll be by again in a month or so." I am starting to crave a bit of documentation in my life. Years are starting to fuse together. But this whole blogging thing may be a way to stop the fusion--a record of the good meals I have shared and Seattle know-how I have acquired as a young person in this small town city.

In this blog, it is my intent to share recipes. Recipes for food, drink, conversation and fun in general as I come across them, revisit them or reinvent them. And hopefully, in the process, keep my shit together a little bit. And don't worry, nothing too personal and contemplating-of-my-own-navel. I am so not into that.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment